Friday, July 8, 2011

More radical, more food

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am reading the book Radical, by David Platt. I can only read a few pages at a time because it sends my brain, or maybe it's my heart, in a tail spin. It's an easy read, but it is incredibly challenging to my little comfort zone. So, without getting into great detail, I wanted to post a paragraph that stuck out to me as I was reading today.

..."Wake up. Wake up and realize that there are infinitely more important things in your life than football and a 401(k). Wake up and realize there are real battles to be fought, so different from the superficial, meaningless "battles" you focus on. Wake up to the countless multitudes who are currently destined for a Christless eternity." (page 15)

That last sentence is so challenging. I mean, do I really ever think about that?? That there are people that I know and love that could be heading for a CHRISTless eternity! I'm such a victim of worldly thinking...

Let me know what you think,

Switching subjects completely....

We had this for dinner this week and it is a good, go-to recipe when your short on time.

Southwest Chicken
2 cups brown rice, uncooked
2 cups water
1 can black beans, drained
1 can mexican rotel
1 can cream of chicken soup.
*Mix all of that together and spread in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. We we had it this week I was out of black beans and used a can of hoppin' johns and it was really good too.
Place thawed chicken breasts (chicken tenders work great too) on top of mixture.
Pour one jar of salsa on top of chicken.
Bake for  35 minutes on 375.
Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for another 10 minutes.
Enjoy!

Check back this weekend...I'm making Chocolate Coffee Cream Cupcakes!!!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited??

1 comment:

  1. Alison, I had a moment this past school year that woke me up to a reality I think I had ignored. During one of our reading mastery stories about Trojan War, one of the words was Jesus Christ. We read uit whole group, but the particular child who was chosen to read it as an individual turn was struglling with reading it. I helped her bay saying "Jesus CHrist" and she repeated. BUt I could tell there didnt seemed to be a connection with the name. So I asked her, "do you know who Jesus Christ is?" She said "No". What a moment that was for me. I cant even put into words. As I tried to reach out to her, but also knowing there is a line that as a teacher I must repect, I said "after we finish reading, I'm sure there are some students who can tell you who He is." And to my delight, I had a little girl who eagerly volunteered for the job. NOw, I'm not sure the conversation ever happened and if so, what was said, but I was reminded of 2 things during that reading mastery lesson: 1. There are kids out there who have not had adults guide them to know Jesus, and 2. I struggle with being a believer and unable to share as much as I may want with my students because of the boundries put on teachers to do such.

    ReplyDelete