Friday, September 23, 2011

Seriously behind...

I am seriously behind in the land of blogging. Life at the Crawford household has been insane! This week in particular has been wild. We've had ear infections, doctor visits, parent/teacher conferences, wedding rehearsals, and weddings. So tonight, Lyla and I are in our PJs while Russ and LR are at the football game. I think this is the first time in 8 days I've sat down for more than a meal...ahhh!!!

I don't mean to complain, I'm thankful for it all....every. busy. minute.

On a brighter note, a few weekends ago I made these amazing muffins that I found on pinterest. I love muffins but I'm always worried about the sugar content, even in the whole grain ones that we like. Yall, these muffins were seriously so good. And incredibly healthly. Now, I did eat three at one sitting, so I don't know how healthly that choice was, but they were good. We are not so big on super sweet anything for breakfast, so we cut the sugar in half. Honestly, I think we could have even used less. They were very hearty and filling and made me feel like super women ( i wish) :).

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats (I used steel cut oats)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat or non-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray. If you plan on eating them straight out of the oven, give the liners a spritz of cooking spray so the muffins won’t stick.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg in a medium bowl. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture, stirring until just moist. (Don’t over mix them! The batter will be thicker than your average muffin batter.) Carefully fold in blueberries.

Spoon the batter into muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 16-18 minutes.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment