Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Cookie Tray

Tomorrow is the day I start baking away! I love the day before Christmas Eve, or Christmas "Adam" as the Mr. calls it. Those last few days before the big celebration begins are so much fun to me. I normally stay in my PJ's and bake until my heart's content. But with two busy little "helpers" this year, I've decided to make cookies this year that are much easier to manage and a hit with kiddos!

I always include four different types of cookies on my tray. I make four full batches, but just put enough of each one to fill the tray. Then, as we travel from house to house, I can simply refill the tray in between house visits in order to arrive with a beautiful cookie tray. The four cookies I've chosen for this year are very "semi-homemade" but look and taste great! :)

#1 - Peppermint Oreo Truffles : My FAVORITE!

-1 package of peppermint oreos (The cool mint ones work too, but you'll need to add a few drops of peppermint extract)
-1 package of cream cheese, softened
-1 package of chocolate almond bark or dark chocolate candy wafers
-Crushed candy canes

*Crush your oreos into fine crumbs. Mix with the cream cheese. Add peppermint extract if desired and roll into balls. Please them on a cookie sheet and stick in the fridge or freezer until firm.
*Melt your candy wafers.
*Using a fork, roll the oreo balls into the melted chocolate. Tap the excess off and place back on the cookie sheet to dry.
*Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes and place in the fridge or freezer to set.


#2 - Candy Cane Mint Milanos - Semi-Homemade, but not semi-yum!


1 or 2 packages of mint milano cookies
1 package of red candy wafers
crushed candy canes

So easy: Melt the candy wafers. Dip the tip of each cookie into the melted chocolate and coat with crushed candy canes. Place it on wax paper until set. I first saw this idea on pinterest and I had to steal it! My dad came by as Lily Rain and I were making these and he thought they were terrific! Below is a pic of the finished project and the link to the original inspiration.



#3 - Dark Chocolate Peppermint Marshamallows - Kid Pleaser

I saw the recipe for these bad boys on the back of a jumbo bag of peppermint marshmallows. Not the minis, but the huge ones. These only need three ingredients as well:
-1 bag of peppermint marshmallows
-1 bag of dark chocolate candy wafers
-crushed candy canes

Directions: Melt your chocolate. Dip each marshmallow into the chocolate and tap off excess. I think using a fork works best. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and let it set. Enjoy!


#4 - Candy Cane Sugar Blossoms - The "pretty" cookie


I saw the recipe for these cookies on pinterest as well and I thought they would be great to set out for Santa. I love the red and green combo and how easy they are to make.

-1 bag of sugar cookie mix and the ingredients listed
-red and green sugar
-Candy Cane Hershey Kisses

Prepare the sugar cookie dough as directed. Roll into one inch balls and then roll in the sugar color of your choice. Place the colored cookie dough on a cookie sheet as bake as directed. Once baked, immediatley place a candy cane kiss on the center of each cookie. Let the cookies cool completely and store in an air tight container.



I hope you are able to use some of these easy and yummy cookies this year. If not, store it until next Christmas.

I hope that you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas. I pray that through the busyness of it all, we can each take time to remember what this amazing holiday is truly all about. I pray we are able to recognize the miracle of God coming to earth as a baby in order to establish a relationship with each one of us.

" Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord." Luke 2:11

No comments:

Post a Comment