Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Calm After the Storm

I wasn't quite sure if I would be seeing "the calm" anytime soon after the events that have taken place around here. I almost had a nervous breakdown last week when Russ calmly asked me if I wanted to go on a walk after dinner and I started crying and replied, "I don't have time to breathe, much less go on a walk." 

He very sweetly reminded me that I needed to look around and notice my blessings - happy, healthy, smiling kiddos, and a husband who is alive and well  - when just days earlier we were at the ER. 

But, this weekend has been "the calm" for me and I needed it so badly. 

We've slept late without an alarm clock. :)
We've napped.
We've gone on walks.
We baked cupcakes (LR's birthday party is next week!!)
We've cleaned.
We've laughed.
We've NOT been to the school!
We've had dinner with friends.
We've had chinese in the bed while watching youtube videos (Russ' idea but so much fun!)
I even went to the grocery store for the first time in 2 weeks!!!!

Seriously, I know it seems silly, but those little everyday blessings are what keep me going strong. 
I am grateful.

I've been absent from blogging land so I thought that many of you might want a recipe. I can't take credit for this one. In fact, I haven't cooked anything in two weeks except scrambled eggs and the cupcakes for LR's party. But, after Russ' accident, friends and family brought us tons of food. It was incredible! It was like having a baby all over again!

Russ' aunt Susan brought us one meal and she was just so thoughtful in how she prepared it. She knows that we are on the healthy side, so she made us a very healthy dinner and even made copies of the labels on the food she used so we would know what we were eating. How sweet is that? She even cut up tortillas and baked them for us to have as chips! We love her! She and her husband, Dale, have always been so good to us. 

Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
1 cup shredded RF Monterey Jack Cheese
1/4 cup canned no-salt added black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup frozen, whole kernel corn, thawed 
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 of a cup fresh cilantro (which Susan brought us from her garden...yum!)
4 8-inch FF tortillas
3/4 cup finely chopped tomato (also from her garden)
3/4 cup salsa

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, toss lightly. Lightly brush tortillas with water, divide among tortillas. Fold tortillas in half. Place on a large baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes or until cheese melts and tortillas are crisp. 
2. Cut each quesadilla into 3 wedges. Top each with tomato, salsa, sour cream (if desired), and cilantro. 

I wish I had a pic, but this was so good, we quickly devoured it. 

I am making it again this week!!

I hope you all have a calm week...

1 comment:

  1. I am just so glad that ya'll liked them! We are also glad that Russ was ok!

    ReplyDelete