Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tried and True

I have two tried and true recipes for you today. You all have probably seen both of these before, but they are classic recipes that are so easy to make, I have to share them just in case you haven't heard of them or you've forgotten about them. Bring 'em back!

Crock-Pot Nachos
Chicken breasts (frozen)
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of corn (drained)
1 jar of salsa
1 can of mexican rotel
1 8oz package of light or fat free cream cheese

Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred your chicken. Slobber that goodness on top of your favorite tortilla chips. We LOVE the Garden of Eatin' chips. Russ opted out of the nachos tonight and rolled the mix in whole wheat wraps.  I love this dish because if makes TONS! Life if getting very crazy around this place with back-to-school just around the corner and I knew this would be easy and delish!


As a side note:
1. I think this would be soooo incredibly yum with queso poured over it, or even some good old shredded cheese. I practiced some self-control tonight, but if you want to indulge, I won't judge you. :)
2. I would like to kiss the feet of the person who invented crock-pots. You are my hero.

Oreo Truffles
Okay, so these might just be the best thing on the planet. My original intentions were to make these adorable little pops for back-to-school.




Well, I bought the wrong kind of pretzels and I couldn't think of anything that would make a good leaf for the apple. So I went with the tried and true recipe minus the cuteness.
Ingredients
1 package of cream cheese, softened
2 sleeves of oreos, crushed
1 package of candy wafters or almond bark

Step 1 - Your oreos need to be crushed well, like itty bitty crumbs. The rolling pin won't do the trick. You need an appliance to crush them well. Mix in the cream cheese.
Step 2 - You can go ahead and roll your truffles into balls, but it works best if you put the mix in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Once you've rolled out the balls, stick them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Step 3 -  Melt your chocolate/wafers. Dip each oreo ball into the melted chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet to dry. Once the chocolate hardens, EAT THEM!!!!


You can see that I immediately placed them into containers to be delivered. If these stay in my house for too long I would have to repent of gluttony. :)

At Christmas, I made these with peppermint oreos and added peppermint extract to the melted chocolate. You could do the same thing with the mint oreos or the peanut butter ones. I saw dark mint candy wafers at hobby lobby, so those could work, too.

I adore easy recipes that are so good you could eat them weekly. If you have any, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment